Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Blair Witch Project Response

Is it bad that after watching this film I wanted to go camping? Well, at least up until the very end. Not that I was scared or anything...

I really enjoyed "The Blair Witch Project;" I've been wanting to see it for a while but it was one of those movies that I could never find time to sit down and watch it on my own so I'm glad we got to watch it in class. My reaction to the film was that it was an incredible and new approach (at the time of its release) to a horror-categorized film. What made it feel so real was the dynamics of each character and especially the camera work. I found it really interesting that the actors were the ones making the movie especially since they didn't exactly know what the movie was about or where the story was taking them. And the fact that they didn't know where the story line was going made their reactions to certain events more believable because they were genuine reactions (more or less). However, the one thing that I found frustrating and would criticize would be some of the interactions between the three characters. After the first couple of nights they were stuck in the woods, they started to turn on each other, which could be understandable under the conditions they were in. However, I feel like if I were in their position, I would have stopped bickering and pointing blame some time before they did because there would be no chance for them to escape unless they started working together. I understand they were terrified, hungry, cold and angry at each other, but I feel that I would have tried to keep the peace between all the campers in order to get out of there as a team. Other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed the film.

3 comments:

  1. The Blair witch project was a film I’ve always wanted to see just because of all the hype surrounding it ever since it's release. It was one of those movies I heard was really scary when I was a kid and wasn’t allowed to watch the film because of that, but now that I’ve grown up (slightly) and I’m in this class it presented the perfect opportunity to watch it.
    I think it was so interesting to see how the film was shot, and then compare it to the films I’ve seen (i.e. paranormal activity, clover field, quarantine) that have come out after this, and see how they all adapted very similar techniques of the "found footage" type documentary. Also the other element of these films (more particularly paranormal activity and Blair witch project) is that while the film might not have special effects and gore that the traditional horror moviegoer is used to, what it does have is a compelling storyline. I’ve heard people’s reactions to both these films and the negative reactions from people usually were from viewers who didn’t understand the story. For example in paranormal activity, there is a back-story behind the film, which involves a demon that has followed this set of sisters around their entire life, and we learn through the 3 films of how and why this demon came about. In Blair witch project, at the beginning of the film we hear all these wise tales of the Blair witch and some other stories to accompany it. But the one story told by the old man about how kids were kidnapped and brought to the house in the woods to be killed one by one, while the next kid to be killed looked away in the corner, was what impacted this movie the most. When I saw the group of campers find this house it initially sparked that story in my mind again, but then when I saw the bloody handprints of kids on the wall of the house, it almost certified that the story was true in the movie and sent a chill down my spine. In my opinion that’s good horror and suspense film in being able to devise a story and rely on the viewer figuring it all out.
    The shaky cam era is definitely here to stay and it was nice seeing the pioneer movie that really started a wave of similar movies like the Blair witch project. Its a sub-genre of documentary that although can be easy to make (paranormal activity 1 cost $7,000), still might have the same shock value as a big budget horror film, and that truly speaks levels about how a good storyline is just as good as a good array of special effects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^^^^^^ above post by Mike Crocker

      Delete
  2. I am proud to be able to say that I have finally seen The Blair Witch Project!

    This "found footage" film effectively drew me in about half way through the film and managed to involve me enough so that by the end, I was slightly frightened. I think that although it was a bit irritating to sit through at points, the realistic take on a horror film increases the lasting impact. The characters come from all different social corners and have believable breakdowns during the film. Although I hadn't really been aware of the success or originality of the film prior to the lecture given in class, I can understand why hype would build over Project. I haven't seen any films like this otherwise and so don't have much to compare it with but I was impressed by this low-budget composition.

    ReplyDelete